Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's just about that time...

Posted by Jordan

My life began in May.

Not this year, just to be clear. It was back in 1982. And I've decided that somehow my being born in May has caused my internal sense of time and season to be strongly "May-centric."

Every culture celebrates the resetting of its calendar according to that time of year when it feels that life begins anew. Or, in the case of the Romans, a power-mongering dictator can decree that the calendar begins on whatever day he wants. And while he's at it, he'll even name an entire month after himself.

Just for the record, if I were a power-mongering dictator, I would put the new year sometime in May, and I would call the first month Jordanuary.

Or maybe Knutober. That would be sweet.

But whatever I decided to call it, May would be the beginning month. May is when my wife's life began as well, back in 1985.

May 2004 is when our life began. May is a great month to start a new year, I think.

Of course, May is the inaugural month of summer! It's the beginning of lingering warm evenings out in the yard, and the first smells of fresh cut lawns. May is when you can throw on some shorts in the morning, walk barefoot out onto your front porch, feel the warm sun hit your legs and arms and face, and take in a breath so deep, you feel like you're going to suck the blue right out of the sky.

Beautiful. I almost wish it wouldn't end.

But May is just the beginning! There's so much more!

I love June! I love it for the long days. I always have a hard time coming inside in June. Jaicee will tell you that I would live in an open-air hut during the summer if I could. At the very least, I can't bring myself to turn in until the last glowing embers of twilight have finally died out, and the frogs and insects are droning out their summer symphony in the pitch dark of night.

But even then I have a hard time coming inside. Warm summer nights are when magic happens: Young lovers hold hands on long, slow walks, laughing and talking in whispered tones and watching for shooting stars. Childhood friends make memories sprawled out on sleeping bags and trampolines, having ridiculous conversations until absurd hours of the night.

Good times. I almost wish it wouldn't end.

But the great thing about June is that the summer is still young!

Stars and Stripes. Flags and fireworks. Picnics and parades. Water fights and watermelon! Barbecues and bathing suits. Reunions, road trips, and rec-league soccer. Tents and tailgates. Cookouts and campfires...

July! It's the peak of summer. Seriously, I almost wish it wouldn't end.

But August is when the corn is tallest and the watermelon is sweetest. The late summer sun ripens the peaches in Willard, and fills the kitchen counter with vegetables picked fresh from the garden.

You have to savor the last drops of syrupy sweet summer sun in August. It's the last chance to float down the Logan canal or bake on a rock at Left Hand. It's the last chance to pull your couch out onto the lawn and have a redneck barbecue in the trailer park with your brother. It's the last chance to be warm inside and out, through and through, wearing little or no clothing...

I almost wish it wouldn't end.

Almost.

But when the end of August finally does roll around, and students head back to the classroom sporting their new shoes, sharpened pencils, and book-laden backpacks, the air becomes charged with a peculiar energy and excitement. Even though I'm not going back to school this year, it's still there:

The days are getting just a little shorter. The leaves are just about ready to turn. The fields are almost ready for the combines. The pumpkins and gourds are swelling on the vine. Yes, my friends, Fall is just around the corner!! And I am totally ready for it! I can almost taste the apple cider! WOOHOOOO!!

Though my life and this blog post both began in May... and though I love every free and blessed day of Summer... I live for the Fall.

I LIVE FOR FALL!!!

And it's just about that time.
 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your poem was beautiful!! :) lovely, just lovely!! have fun living your lives in Denver!

Lovely Luvs,
Naomie