Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So close, and yet so far...

Posted by Jaicee

I am continually amazed at our children! How fast they grow, how sweet it is to see them playing together, and also how they find ways to make me crazy!

Monday morning I was exercising in the living room with my DVDs, and I wasn't really paying too much attention to the girls playing on the floor. I didn't particularly notice that Naivie had left the room for a few minutes and then returned...

When I was finished exercising, I took Norah back to the girls' room to change her pants. I looked down at the trash can and noticed an unfolded diaper in it. Naivie sometimes gets clean diapers from the drawer and throws them away just because. Thinking "Oh, Naivie, stop throwing away the diapers!" I reached down to pick it up and found that it was not clean; there were little poops in it.

I always roll up the soiled diapers before I throw them away, and I did not remember changing a poopy diaper yet this morning... This is one of those moments that makes you raise one eyebrow and look suspiciously around the room.

I walked back out to the living room and saw Naivie standing there. I examined her from where I stood... she had all her clothes on and a diaper sticking out the top of her pants, as usual, but I knew something was wrong. I pulled down her pants and found that her diaper was askew. Hmmm... I examined further to find that her bottom was still a little dirty.

My daughter had successfully changed her own diaper without telling me.

I couldn't believe it! She left the room, took off her pants, took off her diaper and placed it in the trash, put on a clean diaper, put her pants back on, and came back out into the living room like nothing had happened! This is the very thing I had wished she would do when she was an infant... but now that she's two-and supposed to be learning to use the potty-I didn't know whether to throw up my hands in frustration or to laugh!

When Jordan came home later that day, I told him what had happened and he found it hysterical. We talked and decided that if she's smart enough to change her own diaper, we need to step up the potty training! So today for the first time, we put Naivie in "big girl panties" to see if she would get the point. It has seemed to work for a lot of people we know; we hope it will work for Naivie too.

We've already had a few accidents and wet carpet spots, but we are not daunted! Sort of... well, okay, actually we're a lot daunted... but we're gonna give it our best shot anyway! Wish us luck, and any helpful hints will be appreciated!

2 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

That is the funniest thing I've heard all day! Good luck with the potty training. I think what worked best with Aiden is talking to him about it. We bought him the underpants he liked best, and told him not to go potty on elmo, or mater, or whoever. Another thing that has been helpful is for naps and at night we put him in pull-ups so that he still feels like he is wearing underwear and can still feel it when they are wet, but if he does accidently pee in them, there's not a mess. One other thing we did is gave him a sticker to put on his board every time he went pee in the potty. Anyway, good luck!

Anonymous said...

HARDY HAR HAR!!!

Hey, send Naivie over here to change Ben's diapers for us. If she works for food, we've got just the job for her.