Sunday, June 14, 2009

Nobody mentioned tornadoes...

Posted by Jordan

Southeastern Denver Metro area, Week 1:

Four tornadoes have touched down in our area of town this week. One last Sunday apparently ripped through a Lowes not far from where I work, and Thursday one touched down near the apartment complex that we have been looking into. We talked to the Bishop in that area who said that his house took about $10,000 - $20,000 damage from hail during the storm, as did many other homes in the area.

And it just keeps coming! Last night, watching the Discovery channel in the hotel room before bed, was the first time I have actually seen the emergency broadcast system interrupt a television program for a tornado warning, or any severe weather for that matter.

What in the world have we gotten ourselves into?!

I've been asking myself that regularly since we started boxing up our house in Logan. And that was before we knew about the tornadoes. It's been kind of a rough week getting started over here in Colorado. For me, for Jaicee, and for the kids. Every day we remind ourselves to count our many blessings, especially when it feels like we're just hanging on for dear life. I'm sure we'll find our groove eventually.

...I just hope we don't find it right in the path of a tornado.

More to come. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Oooh, a new job AND an adventure! Just stay away from the trailer parks, tornadoes love those. I'm sure you guys will be fine, just hang in there. I'm sure it's totally overwhelming going to a new area and a new job with new people AND having to deal with natural disasters too. Good luck!

Dani said...

Wow! I hadn't thought of that either! Extreme weather...dear oh dear. Glad to see a post though! Says you're still alive and going strong! :) Love you guys and miss you already! We'll pray you find a good place...and that tornadoes will stay away. :)

Rebecca Sagoe said...

FYI: I forgot to mention the many tornados that touch down in Denver and ALL of the surrounding areas. I went through many tornados growing up and my house was right at the funnel wall. Yikes! Love the picture of the MILE HIGH CITY on your blog!! It's a fun place once you figure out the tornado situation. Just take cover under something really heavy or hide in a closet and stay out of rooms with windows. Love ya guys!

Kristen Weller said...

That blows! Literally! Just watch the movie "Twister" for helpful hints in avoiding those pesky twisters for future reference. Or, don't...since that movie scared the bejeebus out of me as a kid.