Some movies are made for the discount bin at Wal-Mart. I would list a few examples, but I can't even think of any off the top of my head because there was nothing worth remembering about any of them! They are forgotten as soon as they are ejected from the DVD player. Not even a child, except for the very bored, will watch them more than once.
And then there are those movies that reach out of the screen with both hands, pry open your rib cage just left of the sternum, and climb right into your hot beating heart--there to remain for the rest of your life. And from that moment on, you can scarcely remember what life was like before.
Monster House was that kind of movie.

I admit, there is a certain age group that will appreciate this movie even more than the rest (though the rest will love it too). I was a kid in the 80's, and grew up watching The Goonies. If you loved The Goonies, Monster House will make your head swell with euphoric nostalgia until it explodes like a Halloween Pinata. And when it's over, you'll have to watch it again, just to catch all of the lines you missed because you were laughing so hard the first time.
Then, every October for the rest of your life, you will sit down with your family in front of the TV and try to wrap your mind around how this movie somehow gets better every time you watch it. It is a Halloween miracle.
I love this movie.
1 comment:
Ok, you're too funny. I guess we'll have to get it and watch it and see if it changes OUR lived for the better. We haven't ever seen it, because we had heard from multiple people that it wasn't that good, but I think we'll take your word for it!
Post a Comment