Saturday, September 25, 2010

ENCORE!!!

Posted by Jordan

INDIAN SUMMER, I LOVE YOU!!!.  I really didn't think we'd get any more warm weather after Labor Day this year... not 90 degrees, anyway.  But just when I thought the show was over, the sun and the heat came back onto the stage for an encore performance that allowed us to play in the water one more time.  HOORAH!!

We took the girls to the splash pad in Providence, which I hear was packed with swarming swimming children and moms this summer.  But this weekend, it was empty.  It was pretty sweet.



Naivie absolutely loved it.  She and I ran around in it for hours.  Norah wouldn't have anything to do with it and stayed on the playground.  Oh well.  We all got a little more color in our cheeks and enjoyed ourselves.




We even put Li'l Daphne in the water.  She kicked and kicked and seemed to enjoy it.  I wish I had it on video.









A little later on we met up with our friends Jake and Kate Neeley who live right across the street from the splash pad.  They held us at gunpoint and made us stay for dinner, which was delicious (THANKS KATE!).  You guys are awesome.

Saturday, we went to First Dam to feed the ducks with McLain and Sheri and the kids.  They all very much enjoyed throwing bread to the ducks.  The big geese were a little more intimidating (as geese can be).  I couldn't get a good picture of this one old goose that looked like it must have been the grandpa goose of the whole dam.  He was huge and had a giant flapping dewlap under his knobby head.  His lumbering body almost drug on the ground when he came out of the water.  He was awesome.



It was really funny watching my niece Brooklyn wait until she thought nobody was watching then make a break for the water.  Silly kiddos.





We had a rotisserie chicken picnic there in the park.  We tried to "tether" Brooklyn to a tree with a tow rope from McLain's car...


...she didn't like it.


"Here, duck,duck duck..."


 "...and goose!"


 Sometimes the best times are spent doing absolutely nothing with your family.  Just watching the fish jump and throwing bread to the ducks.


I love this time of year.  Love it!  I caught this couple lying by the water and snapped a shot of them as we walked by.  I wish I knew who they were so that I could give the picture to them...


Also of note, Broski and Ben both had birthdays in the last two weeks.  Whereas Ben got a regular birthday cake with frosting...


Broski got a meat cake made of barbecued, bacon-wrapped shrimp, grilled by yours truly.  Delicious just doesn't describe it.


HAPPY BRITHDAY BEN AND BROSKI!!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

So either I missed a blog post, or you haven't kept us fully informed. I thought you lived in Colorado. At first I thought you were here on vacation, but this is looking to be QUITE the vacation.

Emily Berkley said...

Wow now that really was an encore!!! Loved the pictures as always. You guys are the greatest!!!

Jake said...

It's a good thing you guys didn't get away before you came over for dinner! Next time we'll probably hold you until the next day so pack up! :)

Dani said...

I agree with Amanda - you never did explain about moving back to Utah. Anyway,great post! Looks like a fantastic time!