When Naivie was smaller.. like 2 or 3, she got into a really awful habit of holding food in her mouth that she didn't want to eat. We would coax her into taking one bite, and then she'd sit there with it in her mouth... forever. She wouldn't chew or swallow, just sit.
One night we found that even after we got her down from the table, into pajamas, and into bed, she still had food in her mouth. It was very frustrating because no amount of explaining, coaxing, threatening, or anything else we could think of would get her to swallow her food. And so, we'd have her spit it out and give her another bite. But it was always the same. Arg!
I remember one night I was trying to feed the girls dinner, Jordan was still at work late, and I was at the end of my rope with her. I called my mom in tears because I had no idea what else to do!
After about a year of that, she finally grew out of it. I was relieved that Norah was such a good eater most of the time. We were all happy eaters!
...And now Daphne is doing it.
She's got a terrible stubborn streak. I think she got the combined dose from both of her parents. Even more than Naivie, she will NOT be made to do anything she doesn't want. Dinners, lately, have not been very happy times for mom, dad, or Daphne. I guess I deserve it. I was a stubborn, picky eater too.
We've got to approach it with MUCH patience and with the hope that she'll grow out of it like her sister did, if we just don't encourage it. It's always tempting to give her cereal or cheese and crackers, something I know she'll eat just to end the frustration. But I know that will only make it worse, and she'll REALLY never grow out of it.
And now... the moment my mom has been waiting for:
I have a child. And she's just like me.

+Dec+86.jpg)
2 comments:
I have one little eater that causes a lot of frustration like this. She went through a brief period of holding food in her mouth--but a YEAR?!? I'm sorry. And it must be frustrating to have to go through it again! I think I may cry if I have another difficult eater. Good luck!
Oh Daphne, Daphne...
Jaicee, that picture of you is so cute!!
Post a Comment