Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We're twisted, I know.

Posted by Jordan

Cafe Rio is one of our favorite restaurants. Fast. Inexpensive. Delicious. Filling. It never disappoints! Hands down, the best fast-food Mexican restaurant chain in existence.

Over the years, we've enjoyed at least three "free meals" there, probably four. One of the greatest days of our married lives was when the Blockbuster on 14th and Main went out of business and Cafe Rio came to Logan in its stead. Unfortunately, we haven't been eating out very often lately due to our ever-tightening budget. (I just looked on our little stamp card, and the last time we went to Cafe Rio was last May!) But we hit it again yesterday on our way back from Moab.

My personal favorite menu item: the Pork Barbacoa burrito, black beans, enchilada style, all the toppings. Jaicee's favorite: The grilled chicken salad with the creamy dressing. I usually end up eating both whenever we go, because Jaicee cannot ever finish her meal. Which I am not disappointed about. What can I say? They have good food! Oh--And I have to mention that on this last visit I tried the shrimp taco with mango salsa... Holy mackrel. It was a little bit of Mexican heaven come to earth.

And finally... the favorite menu item of our little girls:

Limes.

Back in 2007, little Naivie was just a few months into the "grab-whatever-I-can-reach-and-put-it-in-my-mouth" stage of child development. I didn't want her to slobber up our food, or our straws, or our napkins, or our utinsels... So I slid some limes within her reach. Within seconds I was in hysterics, digging frantically in my pocket for my cell phone (sorry for the cell-phone quality pics):



Of course, as parents, we were delighted by this response. And yesterday, we were fortunate to be able to repeat the experience with little Norah:


If you are a parent of a child under 1 year old, do yourself a favor and take him or her with you to Cafe Rio. While you enjoy your delicious pork barbacoa burrito, (black beans, enchilada style, all the toppings), slide some limes within range of the little slobbery fingers that are reaching for your straw. And be sure to have your camera ready.

THIS IS AN OFFICIAL TAG TO ANYONE READING THIS BLOG: I WANT TO SEE YOUR BEST "BABY GRIMACE" PICTURES. It can be you, your spouse, or your kid. It doesn't neccessarily have to be a reaction to something sour, either. Just your best baby face.

TAG!!!

4 comments:

Jess's old blog said...

Kennedy LOVES limes and lemons and pickles... so no grimace pictures here! :) those are cute pictures!

Dani said...

How cute! I remember eating out with you guys once and we gave both Naivie and Jameson lemons to find that reaction. It's pretty funny- Jameson doesn't refuse them either! It's so funny because he makes all kinds of sour faces but then just asks for it again. Today he had his first taste of the sweet tart heart candies and he kept asking for more. Those aren't quite as sour as lemons though. :) I'll have to go looking for a picture- I don't think we ever got one of Jameson's sour faces...sad! These are too cute!

Levi and Cassie Mallory Family said...

You are the luckiest parents in the whole world. We tried this experiment with Michael and much to our disappointment there was no puckering or bitter beer faces only giggles and smiles and demands for more. The other day we even tried pickles only to have him request more with his pancakes the next morning. Alas, we have been denied this great joy of parenting, so wish us luck with baby # 2. My hopes are not totally dead yet for our very own puckering child pictures.

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness! I can't stop laughing! I can't wait for Josie to get old enough!