Today's lesson in humility came in the form of singing a solo musical number from the pulpit in sacrament meeting.
Several weeks ago, our ward choir director asked me if I would be willing to do it. "Sure!" I replied, not realizing how deafeningly silent the room suddenly becomes when you're the only one singing...
I tried to find an appropriate image to illustrate exactly the physiological response my body experienced in reaction to the stress of standing in front of the congregation one measure before my pickup note. Imagine trying to sing while somebody is doing this to you:
But now imagine that the hands belong to a 350 lb. professional wrestler that has you on the ground and is kneeling fully on your chest, so that you can't get enough oxygen for more than one note at a time.
Now SING!
That's about what is was like, and though my wife and ward members assure me otherwise, I am confident that I did, in fact, sound like I had two gigantic thumbs squeezing my trachea closed.
Ugh.

4 comments:
I have the exact same problem!! If I can't blend with a choir my voice just disappears no matter how hard I try to make sound come out.
You absolutely crack me up! This has got to be my favorite blog to read! I'm sure it was great - you have a great voice! :) Everyone was probably happy you did it. My ward hardly ever has musical numbers and they really make a difference in the whole meeting, whether or not the person sounded like they were being strangled. :)
Wow, that sounds and looks like it would hurt......I hope it sounded good or they will do what they did to us when we sang in church....
Our ward had a thing with asking mucically talented families to sing. Our family was asked and I don't know what made me say yes because we do things like play the accordian, but being we had a 2 year old and a 4 month year old it was Steve and I who sang ....... well, they have stopped the tradition. Not one family has sang in our ward since.
I am just saying....
Hey how are you? What a cute girl you have! Its nice to hear from you!
Post a Comment