Friday, January 30, 2009

Couch Detectives

Posted by Jaicee

You would be surprised to know that Jordan and I have recently become detectives. We never knew we had the talent until just a few nights ago. Thanks to our neighbors, the Binghams (some of our favorite people in the world), we've been borrowing episodes of "Monk" on DVD lately, and have gotten hooked!

Jordan and I don't have TV in our house (We have a TV, but it's only hooked up to the DVD player). We haven't had TV since we were married, except for a few months in our home just before we left for Russia. Even then, we didn't watch a lot. It hasn't been until recently that we have had a little extra free time in the evenings and the need to divert our attention from the economic crisis that surrounds us... and neighbors who have every episode of every television series ever made on DVD.

For those of you who are not acquainted with Monk, it's a show about a homicide detective who suffers from severe OCD, germaphobia, and neurosis... he became this way when his wife was killed in a car bomb several years before. But the great thing is that he is the awesomest detective and can solve the toughest cases because he is so neurotic. He notices the tiniest details that no one else does. It's so hilarious to watch him and his nurse/assistant (whom he can't function without) try to solve the cases despite his issues. But he always does... right around thirty-five minutes into each episode.

So, a few nights ago we were watching after the kids had been put to bed, and within the first minute of the show, Jordan yells, "I've solved the case!"
"...What?!" I yell back.
"No really, I've solved the case." Knowing that we have never once been able to solve the cases before Monk did, and that it was only a minute into the episode, I just stared at him, unbelieving.

But the fact was, he did! By the end of the show, he had nailed every fact, except one which I had the pleasure of solving a little later in the show, but still before Monk. It was a momentous occaison! There was great pride in the Knutson household that evening...

...the evening we discovered we were couch detectives.

No comments: