Okay, so here is a picture I took of Jaicee's cousin Emily (formerly Ross) Berkley, her husband Steve, and their little boy Max. They also have another one on the way!

Emily has been a regular guest in our home since Jaicee and I got married. She's more like a sister, really, than a cousin. And when she got hitched to Steve, he became like a brother to me. We're about as close to Steve and Emily as anyone on earth. I LOVE those guys... And apparently I expressed those feelings to Emily in no uncertain terms over the phone last night.
I had just finished talking to her about the three of them coming over to our house to play some games... And stuff like, "Can we borrow your crock pot?" and "Yes, we have a puzzle you can borrow." You know, just the regular sort of stuff. Call ends, I hang up.
Five seconds later, I haven't even put the phone down yet, and Steve is calling me back. Hmm. Must've forgotten something.
"Hey, what's up?"
"Jordan. Tell me the honest truth: Did you just profess your love to my wife?"
Confusion and mild panic start to envelop me.
"Uuuh... what?"
"Did you say 'Love you, bye' to Emily just before you hung up the phone?"
I start shaking with laughter both from embarassment and amusement.
Now, I have to tell the listening audience that Steve and I had this conversation long ago. That is, we discussed how sometimes you get in the habit of saying "Love you, bye" to your wife, and then you accidentally let it slip when you are getting off the phone with your brother or something:
"Alright bro. Talk to you later. Uh-huh. Yup. Love-- uh-- luh, love...steak. Love steak! Yeah, man, I love steak. I'm really in the mood for some steak. I'm going to go tell Jaicee to cook me one right now! A big one! Medium-rare, just like I LOVE!! LOVE STEAK!! BYE!!!!"
Hang up. Cursewords.
I once accidentally opened the car door for my buddy Rob during the time that Jaicee and I were dating. I stood there looking at him for just a second, holding the open door, then I slammed it shut, told him to open his own dang door, and marched proudly around to my side of the car and got in.
Yeah, slip-ups happen. But it is particularly awkward when it is somebody else's wife. Ugh.
Just for the record, I don't deny that I may, in fact, have said "Love you, bye" to Emily, but I am pretty sure that I said "Later, bye." Later, bye...Love you, bye...it's pretty close, especially with the cell phone signal we get around here...
In any case, Steve, please don't be offended. Truth is...
I love you too, man.
.
8 comments:
I think it happens to us all. I have done that many times. i have also said, "In the Name of Jesus Christ Amen". Tell me how that happens?
I've done that before. It's pretty embarrassing. It usually happens right after I've been talking to Kenny on the phone. I love your header, with the little conversation hearts/inspirational thoughts? By the way, it's pretty warm here lately. I haven't even worn a jacket for like a week!
Thanks for noticing! That makes me happy. I was afraid they were too subtle.
Yes, I would like to move to St. George and be warm with you. Thanks for rubbing it in. ;P
that is so funny!! It made me laugh right out loud. I think we've all done it a time or two. I think my mom has actually let it slip out after talking to your dad on the phone. Levi also does it on purpose to a buddy of his from work just to freak him out.
That is too funny. One time when Steve and I were dating and I was home with my family at church I was sitting by my little brother in sacrament meeting- he was probably 14 at the time- and I reached over and put my hand on his knee. AWKWARD!
Speaking of the Berkleys- do they have a blog or anything? We miss them!
LOL- you know what, I'm so glad you left a comment on my site because I didn't know what your blog was until now- and before I knew it I was reading the last blog on the page. You guys are so dang entertaining! Love the blog!
Post a Comment